Last night was the premiere of the final episodes of Breaking Bad. If you’re not familiar with the show, it’s on AMC and tells the story of Walter White, a struggling high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer at the beginning of the series. He turns to a life of crime, producing and selling meth with a former student, Jesse.
The show is definitely on the darker side but is an incredible look at how one man with good intentions can be sucked in by the allure of money and power. But I digress…
I wanted to make themed cupcakes for the premiere. No box mixes here! I was going to make them from scratch, darn it!
I found this “Simply Perfect Vanilla Cupcake” recipe and proceeded to start making them!
- 1 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the soft butter and beat until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine the milk, eggs, and vanilla in a measuring cup. Beat half this mixture into the flour/butter.
- Beat on medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, add the remaining wet ingredients, and beat for another 30 seconds.
- Fill paper liners 2/3 full with batter, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean or with moist crumbs.
- Cool completely before topping with frosting.
Mmm, look at that batter!
All was going according to plan until I baked them. Here was the “finished product”.
I like to think I’m a pretty good cook but let’s just say I haven’t quite mastered the chemistry of baking. So, with my homemade cupcake recipe a complete fail, I marched back to the store and went the box cake route. I was beaten but not broken! The box cupcakes turned out much better.
To achieve the breaking badness of these little cakes, my graphic designer hubs made little flags with different quotes from the show and glued them to toothpicks. I picked up some blue rock candy from the candy store in the mall and broke it into smaller pieces with a hammer.
Here are they are! I love how they turned out. Yes, my homemade cupcakes didn’t turn out like I’d hoped, but in this case it was the idea that counted!