No matter if I feel right as rain or groggy and foggy when I wake up, by the end of the day, I’m begging for a spa day. For many (like me), spa days are a pretty big investment both in time and funds. Groupons and Travelzoo aside, these moments of pampering add up to a hefty bill and are rarely part of a regular routine. So, I got to thinking about what could be part of a regular stress-relieving routine after work shoes are shoved under the bed and dinner has been served.
1. Epsom salt foot soak: Our feet don’t get enough R&R despite carrying us throughout our day, not to mention doing so while being shoved into restricting heels. Before you sit down to watch The Voice, pour a third of a cup of epsom salts (3-lb bag costs around $5) in a plastic dish tub ($4-7 at Target or similar store) with decently warm water. By the time the show ends, you will have relaxed tootsies ready for your best salve or cream and a warm pair of socks.
2. Hand massage: Team up with your roommate or significant other and give each other five minute hand massages using a thick hand cream. Start with firm circular motions for the palms followed by tender squeezes and pulls through the knucks to the fingertips. You can do this to yourself as well, but it isn’t quite the same feeling. Kick it up a notch by adding peppermint or lavender massage oil.
3. Before-bed yoga session: FitSugar and many others have relaxing before-bed yoga sequences that help settle your mind and your body for a good night’s rest. Completely free (you don’t even need a yoga mat!).
4. Write tomorrow’s to-dos and goals. Rather than think all night about all the things you want to get done, write them down — that way you know you won’t forget them and you can rest easy.
5. Dance your tush off! Put on your favorite tunes and dance around your room, your apartment, wherever. It’s like smiling; doing it just makes me happy and relaxed. And remember not to take the day too seriously, because there’s always room for dancing.
Rest easy tonight and every night!