It’s pretty easy to get carried away or lost in the grocery store. Here are a few tips I’ve found extremely helpful in sticking to a budget while grocery shopping.
1) Give yourself a monthly budget for groceries. Look at your monthly income and set aside a reasonable amount. This really helps you to stay focused, and you don’t have to worry about how much you’re going to spend or have to spend that month; it’s already taken care of.
2) Make a list. Always, always, always make a list! I don’t know about you, but if I go grocery shopping without a list I end up buying anything and everything…and it usually ends up costing a pretty penny.
3) Plan meals ahead of time. This is helpful for a couple reasons. You’re able to buy things that you can use for multiple meals. You’re able to have a variety of delicious meals while saving money. This is most accomplishable through your meat choices. For example, if you get some chicken sausage have sausage over veggies on rice and have an omelette with sausage later in the week. Eggs? Good for breakfast and dinner! Chicken fried rice is a great way to use eggs aside for breakfast.
4) Avoid grocery shopping while hungry. This is the biggest of all don’ts! As I’m sure this is something we’ve all done at one point or another, this is a lesson we’ve learned. Last time I did this, I came out with more sweets than healthy groceries. I bought everything I was craving! This was the last time I didn’t eat before shopping. If it’s one of those days where you’re in a constant time-crunch, grab a banana on your way out the door.
5) Treat yourself. Let’s be real, budgeting can be a bummer. Don’t be imprisoned by the fact you’re trying to be responsible with money! Treat yourself to your favorite dessert or dinner wine. It’s important to indulge every once in awhile.